Boleta Judicial

< Previous | Next >

Songbird17

Spanish/English
I came across this term at the end of a document from Ecuador:

boleta judicial
The context is this: Lunes diecisiete de julio del 2017, mediante boletas judiciales, notifiqué a: etc.,etc.....

In English "boleta" is ballot or ticket (such as to the theater or a concert), but in this legal context I've no idea. Any natives out there that can help or anyone familiar with this? Thanks in advance!!

• Joe Esquire

Spanish Spain- English US
    (The context is one of the process of legal notification, not the nature of the underlying document.)

Pursuant to Art. 55 of the COGEP (Codigo de Proceso) legal notification by Boleta involves a non-personal service of process where papers served are delivered by hand at the residence or place of employment of the person intended to be served, but not given to him/her personally.

An aproximate legal translation for that process is called “nail and mail”, which historically allowed the service to be nailed to the door of the residence of the person being notified, when not able to serve in person.

“Nail and Mail” is probably too legalistic, thus I would translate it as “by means of authorized non-personal service”

Regards,

JE

AbogadoPeter

English - USA (medical & legal)
    “Nail and Mail” is probably too legalistic, thus I would translate it as “by means of authorized non-personal service”
    Given the foregoing explanations, I would say, "service of notice," and not get too complicated. Service of notice must comply with the local laws and rules of court, so I think that specifying whether or not it was personal service may be overly technical and not necessarily relevant.

Joe Esquire

Spanish Spain- English US
    Thank you, Peter
    Except that there are three other authorized forms of service, and this is the one that must be translated. I should also note that service by Boleta has been criticized for lacking elements of due process. Thus, the specificity of the translation, in this case, (in my judgment) is of greater value than the generalization, as there are legal consequences, challenges, etc. to the type of service used. (This is a trial document).

I would be very comfortable with: ......(authorized non-personal service in the form of “boleta”).

Last edited:

Songbird17

Spanish/English
    Thank you all for your help. I greatly appreciate it. I will go with Joe Esquire's, "by means of authorized non-personal service" because it states after the colon the names of the parties with their e-mail addresses and the "casilla No." of the plaintiffs in this adoption case. Given that, I believe it will fit well.

< Previous | Next >