Bombarde player

AnneP

French
Could a native English speaker tell how such an instrument player can be called? Is the translation of the French "sonneur" to "ringer" in use? Thanks a lot for your answers.

• Grumumble

Scotland, English
    sonneur = bell ringer selon Robert & Collins

(c'est qqn qui tire les cordes attachées aux cloches dans un tour, par exemple?)

Kelly B

USA English
    Looking up a definition and images of bombarde, I'm not sure how it would be related to bells. I might be looking at the wrong thing entirely. Could you please tell us more about the instrument, and about how the term sonneur fits here?

viera

English/French/Slovak
    I think Anne is asking whether there is a specific name in English for a bombarde player, because in French he is called un sonneur de bombarde (instead of joueur). Sonneur is also used for a bagpipes player: sonneur de cornemuse.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer.

Padraig

Hiberno-English, Irish Gaelic
    Now that I understand the question, I think I know the answer. It's a bombard player. The instrument is not well known outside France (perhaps outside Brittany!) and so there is no special vocabulary associated with it.

Grumumble

Scotland, English
    by the way a bagpipe player = a piper
    I agree, I'd just use player, when the instrument is uncommon, or...
    a person who plays the ...bombard...

AnneP

French
    Special thanks to Viera : I agree that I should have been a bit more explicit concerning the meaning of "sonneur" in association with "bombarde". I just thought these terms were universally known ;-)...
    Finally thanks to all, I might soon be back with similar questions...

< Previous | Next >