Bon travail ! (bon courage)

Goupil79

français -Belgique
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to translate the French equivalent of "Bon travail!". A possible context for the idiomatic expression I'm looking for would be a teacher saying or writing "Bon travail" to his/her students after giving (orally or in writing) the instructions for an assignment or a written test.
"Good work!" does not sound right to me, and I can't find anything that works ... There are some threads on the expression "bon travail" but the contexts are a bit different.

I thank you all in advance for your help!

• Goupil79

français -Belgique
    If I'm not mistaken, you would only say "Good job" after evaluating the assignment.
    I'm looking for something you would say just before the students start working on the assignment.

guillaumedemanzac

English - Southern England Home Counties
    "Nice piece of work!" or "Nice work!" ..... but in a different context!!! That context is when a student has already done the work/essay and the teacher is handing it back with a personal comment.

Your French context for "Bon travail!" is the (unusual) French of wishing people good luck in an exam or in a test. French has now so many "Bonne Continuation!" phrases that I've lost count! = Bon weekend! Bonne fin de journée! Bonne fête! Bon Appétit! Bonne soirée! Bonne nuit! etc etc.

I've never heard "Bon Travail!" yet but I suspect it may exist.

English for all these "BON ....!" phrases is usually "Good luck!" or Have a good ..... !" - - - for a test like your example, it would be Good Luck! Hope you do well! Hope you get the right questions! Have a good exam!

Goupil79

français -Belgique
    Guillaume: "Bon travail" is an expression that French-speaking teachers/bosses often use after giving instructions, before students/employees start working. So, yes, it does exist.

Thank you broglet and Quaeitur for your suggestions! "Have fun with this" and "work well" would work I think.

KennyHun

Hungarian
    En version longue, est-ce qu'on peut dire "je vous souhaite un bon travail" ou quelque chose dans ces eaux-là ? (Quelque chose d'un chouïa plus formel qu'un simple "bon travail" ou "bonne continuation")

< Previous | Next >