Bond with vs. build a close relationship

< Previous | Next >

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
As a step father, he needs to spend a lot of time to “bond with” or “build a close relationship with” his step son. For instance, he took him to many attractions and amusement parks.

Are they both correct? If so, which is better in this situation? Thank you.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    'Stepfather' is one word.

Both are acceptable, but I have no idea of the 'situation'. Who is saying this, and to whom?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    As a step father, he needs to spend a lot of time to “bond with” or “build a close relationship with” his step son. For instance, he took him to many attractions and amusement parks.
    In the rather limited context you've got there, I'd say they're both correct and you could use either. :)

Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    It would help if we had a little more context, but I would say "cultivate the affection" is very stiff sounding, and could easily have a rather negative connotation, so avoid that. "Bond with" is probably the most natural sounding but, again, context is needed. Definitely better to say "build a closer relationship", though, if you go for that option.

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Thank you PaulQ and DonnyB.
    In colloquial AmE, which is more common?
    DonnyB and I both speak BE: I don't know about DonnyB but my AE is not up to that standard.

Is there some reason for not giving context?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Among "bond with" or "build a close relationship" or "cultivate the affection", which ones is correct and the best?
    I would say that "bond with" is probably the most natural one to use, and as far as I know it works in AE as well.

Of the other two, "build a close relationship" is more or less a definition of "bond with", while I agree with Dretagoto (post #6) that "cultivate the affection" has a negative connotation. To me, it suggests that there's possibly an ulterior motive involved.

< Previous | Next >