Bonne Année grand nez

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by andreannapott, Jan 2, 2007.

1. andreannapott New Member

English, USA
    [...]

Is anyone familiar with this New Year's expression - "Bon Annee grande nez"? I think it's French Canadian. [...]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2011
  2. zazap Senior Member

Valencia
    Canada, French and English
    Almost!

To me, it's
    Bonne année grand nez!
    Pareillement grandes dents!
    :D

3. edwingill Senior Member

England English
  4. zazap Senior Member

Valencia
    Canada, French and English
  5. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    Absolutely. ;) The author of the book, Karen Prud'homme, was born in Abitibi in 1956... and has probably heard it all her life. My grand-mother, who would be 105 if she was still alive said that too. Don't know when she first heard it though.:)

6. olieva New Member

English - Canada
    Bonne annee grand nez, pareillement grande dent is an old French Quebecois saying that two people say to each other at New Years. One says Bonne anneee grand nez and the other pareillement grande dent. There is a subtle reference to drinking but only in jest. I am from Quebec and I've heard this saying between my uncles since childhood.

7. mrsjubes New Member

French
    As a child I remember the great fun we had wishing each other a Happy New Year. We greeted each other with " Bonne, heureuse année, grand nez" and the other replied " Et vous pareillement, grands dents" with a slight nod of the head. I especially liked doing it with my grandmother and she always played along.

8. ziggy puss New Member

French Canadian (Franco Ontarian)
    I remember it primarily from my grandmother born in 1900 (obviously now deceased), as well as others amongst my family and friends. It is French Canadian, not only Quebecois, but also Franco Ontarian as I can attest to from my ancestry. If someone said to you bonne année grand nez (happy new year, big nose), you were suppose to respond pareillement, grande dent ("same to you" or "same here", big tooth). It was all part of the fun in our tradition of greeting each other during the Christmas and New Years holidays.

Sadly, like a lot of our heritage, it has been lost in our tradition. If you said this to someone today they would not know how to respond and probably think you were crazy.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012