Bonne découverte et bon voyage...

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Prisca22, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Prisca22 Senior Member

Paris, France
    English - USA
    Hey all you geniuses out there :D

I have quite a simple sentence to translate but I can't seem to find a colloquial equivalent for it in English.
    The sentence is "Bonne découverte et bon voyage..." sentence that comes at the end of an editorial expounding the merits of this picture book on St Barts.
    "Have a nice trip" is obvious. But how to say bonne découverte? One can't really say "have a great discovery" or even "discover your heart away". Or would it be better, as sometimes is the case, to drop that part of the sentence?

2. cropje_jnr

cropje_jnr Senior Member

Canberra, Australia
    English - Australia
    Hoping that you have a nice trip and discover lots of interesting things (?)

A bit long-winded, I know.

3. Prisca22 Senior Member

Paris, France
    English - USA
    Not bad. Any other ideas?

4. kertek

kertek Senior Member

Brussels
    UK English
    I'd suggest something like "Enjoy your trip, and enjoy the islands." Or, if you want to insist on the discovery, maybe "I wish you an enjoyable trip and a memorable discovery of the islands," although, as you say, it is less common to talk about "discovery" in this context in English.

5. Prisca22 Senior Member

Paris, France
    English - USA
    Brilliant both of you. How about: "Enjoy your trip, and enjoy discovering the island".

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008