Boob food

virgi_vikk

Italian
Hello Everyone,
I am reading an article whose headline is 'Couch Potatoes' and I can't really understand the expression 'boob food'. Here is the context:
Since the days when the television was first labelled a wasteland, many have suspected, and at least one study had suggested, that a steady diet of boob food will add to a child's waistline.
My translation/interpretation:
Fin dai tempi in cui la televione era stata bollata di essere nient'altro che spazzatura, in molti hanno sospettato e almeno uno studio lo aveva suggerito, che un regime alimentare basato su 'cibo ipernutriente (?)' non avrebbe giovato al girovita del bambino'.
In the text they have used child instead of baby so I think that 'regime alimentare a base di latte materno' doesn't sound coherent and doesn't make any sense. Anyway, thank you for your help.

• rrose17

Canada, English
    Boob here doesn't mean breast. An old fashioned expression "boob tube" meant television. But what does TV food look like exactly? I'm not sure.

Last edited:

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Boob here doesn't mean breast. An old fashioned expression "boob tube" meant television. But what does TV food look like exactly? I'm not sure.
    Hard to tell without more context: "boob food" could either be the typical junk food one eats while watching TV (potato chips, popcorn, candy, etc.), or possibly the fast food that's heavily advertised on TV to children. Presumable the article goes on to talk about one or the other?

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    It may not refer to food at all. "Boob food" to me could mean just the TV content itself, the hours spent on the couch, a sedentary lifestyle which contributes to weight gain.

rrose17

Canada, English
    I think you may have hit the nail on the head Joan. To paraphrase a little crudely “TV-wasteland-steady diet-boob food-overweight kids” makes sense with the couch potato thesis of the article.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    It may not refer to food at all. "Boob food" to me could mean just the TV content itself, the hours spent on the couch, a sedentary lifestyle which contributes to weight gain.
    It could well be. Whatever it means, I can't help thinking it's a bizarre phrase for the author to have coined, given the much more common meaning of "boob," and its much clearer associations with food! :)

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Hi, Charles - well that quote comes at the end of a paragraph about junk food and transitions to a discussion of lack of exercise, so I guess both interpretations offered here make sense. Not sure about the translation now, though.

london calling

UK English
    Boob tube in BE::D

1568541862378.png

In any case , having read the context I have the feeling they mean that watching TV all the time leads to weight gain, as it says that TV was blamed for lack of physical activity and the promotion of unhealthy food.

Since the days when the television was first labelled a wasteland, many have suspected, and at least one study had suggested, that a steady diet of boob food will add to a child's waistline.

Insomma, io la capisco così:

...e almeno uno studio lo aveva suggerito, che un regime alimentare basato su 'cibo ipernutriente (?)' che guardare la TV e mangiare schifezze e non avrebbe giovato al girovita del bambino'.

< Previous | Next >