Bookmark a page

< Previous | Next >

English nerd

Hindi
When someone "puts a bookmark" in the book so that they don't lose their place in the book, is it natural to use:

>I bookmarked the page.

I've come across it being used for websites, but not really in the context of books. But it still sounds natural to me in this context. So does it work in this context?

Thank you:)

• lingobingo

English - England
    The OED says that – before the days of computing – bookmark as a verb did mean: “To mark a location in (a book) with a bookmark”. But in their only example of that use, the word is used in relation to a whole book, not an individual page (“A Holy Bible bookmarked with tapes and paper”).

Otherwise, I can’t find a single example of its being used in the same way (“bookmark a page”) with reference to a printed book. That would be spelled out as “mark a/your page in a book [with a bookmark]”.

Packard

USA, English
    I agree with Lingo. While we use "dog ear" (as a verb) to indicate a marked position in a book, I don't recall hearing "bookmark" in reference to holding a place in a printed book used as a verb. I think I would used "put" or "used" instead.

I put a bookmark to keep my place.

I used a bookmark to keep my place.

I dog-eared the book to keep my place.

This is a dog-eared page in a book:

lingobingo

English - England
    Yes, as I said. But someone ending a particular reading session and so placing a bookmark at the point where they’d stopped reading would be more likely to describe that action as just “marking my page”.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I can imagine something like: I use a bookmark to mark/keep my place.

It doesn't use the word page at all.

< Previous | Next >