boom-boom

aaronsun666

Mandarin
The Big Bang Theory Season 06 Episode 03

Before the line below: Sheldon's mother sent him a box of journals and research papers. Penny picked up one of those things and Sheldon explained it's his potty training journal he wrote as a child.

Sheldon: Yeah, the point is Higgs is being celebrated for work he did 50 years ago, so that got me thinking, perhaps I’ve already hit upon the idea that will win me my Nobel prize (so the reason why he asked her mother to send those stuff to him).
Leonard: I didn’t know they gave Nobel prizes for making boom-boom in the potty.

Is the boom-boom an imitation of the sound when heavy objects fall onto the floor? And in the dialogue above, shit hits the bottom of the potty?

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    Could be, of course ... but I've heard boom-boom over the years to refer to sex, and never to defecating. But that doesn't mean that it can't. Since the baby-talk "potty," is used, it's certainly possible.

I was perhaps swayed by the Nobel reference and the recent problems of Tim Hunt: A Nobel laureate has resigned as honorary professor at University College London after saying that female scientists should be segregated from male colleagues because women cry when criticized and are a romantic distraction in the laboratory.

“Let me tell you about my trouble with girls,” Mr. Hunt told an audience on Monday at the World Conference of Science Journalists in South Korea. “Three things happen when they are in the lab: You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticize them they cry.” (The New York Times)

stez

english - australia
    But there is no reference, direct or indirect, to sex in the OP.

suzi br

English / England
    But there is no reference, direct or indirect, to sex in the OP.
    No, but there isn't any reference to shit either, so that is not really important.

Leonard is looking for an achievement that Sheldon has already managed. Since Sheldon struggles to get a girl in the show, I would think it unlikey he has had sex in a toilet.

At first reading I took this to mean potty training. I don't know the idiom boom boom for sex, and thought it was a childish phrase for shit, to match with the reference to potty.

And now I fully re-read the intro I am convinced! :D:p

stez

english - australia
    No, but there isn't any reference to shit either, so that is not really important.

Leonard is looking for an achievement that Sheldon has already managed. Since Sheldon struggles to get a girl in the show, I would think it unlikey he has had sex in a toilet.

At first reading I took this to mean potty training. I don't know the idiom boom boom for sex, and thought it was a childish phrase for shit, to match with the reference to potty.
    I would have thought that potty training is all about shitting!

suzi br

English / England
    I would have thought that potty training is all about shitting!
    Exactly, we are not disagreeing, I am just looking for the relevant evidence!

And it turns out there is relevant evidence about potty training which I had only skim read! Sorry! :oops:

aaronsun666

Mandarin
    "Boom boom" used to be used by comedians (I think in the Music Hall) at the end of a joke. It signalled the laugh. So yes, it does sort of mean 'that was a joke, laugh now'
    The Oxford English Dictionary comments on boom-boom: Used (as a following tag or as a response) to draw attention to a joke or pun, especially one the speaker or writer regards as weak, obvious, or laboured. Popularized as the catchphrase of ‘Basil Brush’, a puppet fox voiced by the actor Ivan Owen (1927-2000) which first appeared on British television in 1963.
    The boom-boom in #1 has nothing to do with these two explanations, does it?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The boom-boom in #1 has nothing to do with these two explanations, does it?
    No. It is clear that it does not. That type of "boom-boom!" is always the final words. No other words appear, it is unqualified and qualifies nothing. It is an expletive:

A: "My dog has no nose!"
    B: "How does he smell?"
    A: "Awful! - Boom-boom!"

aaronsun666

Mandarin
    ... in this case, in the loo.
    I believe a potty, on which a toddler can sit on, is a tool for defecation or urination, not a room.
    But from your reply, I take, potty= restroom?

In addition, loo can refer to both the porcelain stuff and restroom? For example, Tywin, when on the loo, was shot to death by Tyrion and Tywin, when in the loo, was shot to death by Tyrion.

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    I believe a potty, on which a toddler can sit on, is a tool for defecation or urination, not a room.
    But from your reply, I take, potty= restroom?
    Not in general and not in this case. Copy and I were both confused at first .. tryogn to make sense of this.

Loo can mean the actual porcelein AND the room, yes.

< Previous | Next >