boom that has U.S. lenders struggling to handle the surge

• thuhoai

Vietnam
    I do not understand the grammatial structure : has U.S. lenders struggling -->have someone verb-ing?

thuhoai

Vietnam
    I mean it 's difficult for me to understand the grammatial structure: have someone verb-ing.
    Could you please explain it to me?

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I mean it 's difficult for me to understand the grammatial structure: have someone verb-ing.
    Could you please explain it to me?
    I'll try for you, Thuhoai.

The have someone doing something structure in this case is causative; you say that X has people doing something, you mean that X has caused people to do something.

The heat wave had people and animals alike scrambling to keep cool - the heat wave caused people and animals to scramble to keep cool.
    The garden's water feature had people coming for miles to visit - the water feature caused people to come for miles.
    Goats on the freeway near Galt over the weekend had people talking all the way to Florida - the fact that there were goats on the road caused people to talk for a long time.

Mortgage rates near historic lows have sparked a refinancing boom that has U.S. lenders struggling to handle the surge - the refinancing boom has caused lenders to struggle.

A problem here is that the formula can have another meaning: you say that someone has people doing something, you mean that he is finding that people are doing that something.

I have people climbing over my garden fence - there are people climbing over my garden fence.
    He's had people shouting obscenities at him - people have shouted obscenities at him.

Which meaning is being used should be clear from the context. Native speakers don't usually have much confusion between them.

< Previous | Next >