"Boom" transitive or intransitive?

Amirali888

Persian
Hello everyone

"Boom"is a transitive or intransitive verb?

In other words, is my sentence correct?

"The economy of many countries around the world has been booming and flourishing"

Thanks

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I'm puzzled. What do you see as the difference between a transitive and an intransitive verb?

Amirali888

Persian
    It was better if I asked whether "A" or "B" is correct :

A)"The economy of many countries around the world has been booming and flourishing"
    B)"The economy of many countries around the world has been boomed and flourished"

PS:BTW, "the economy of many countries" or "the economies of many countries"

Thanks

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Hello Amirali888

Normally, "boom" is intransitive: we say "X has boomed", not "X has boomed Y".

Merrit

English
    The easiest way to know if a verb is transitive or intransitive, is to ask yourself "Can somebody do this verb to something?"

So "Can I bite something?" "Can I see something?" Yes I can bite things, yes I can see things. So bite and see are transitive.

"Can I sleep something?" No, I can sleep, but I can't sleep something. So sleep is INtransitive.

Can I boom something? No, an economy can boom, but nobody can 'boom' an economy, so boom is intransitive.

Of course, many verbs can be both transitive and intransitive when they have different meanings.
    The bird flies. Does the bird fly someone or something? No, so this meaning is intransitive.
    The pilot flies. Does the pilot fly someone or something? Yes, he flies the plane, so this meaning is transitive.

m

Amirali888

Persian
    I see; thanks for suggesting your way to distinguish whether the verb we are using is transitive or intransitive.
    So in my example A)"The economy of many countries around the world has been booming and flourishing" is correct;

I guess I should replace "The economy of many countries" with "The economies of many countries as well. yes?

Thank you very much indeed :)

< Previous | Next >