Boom

MaryamSeresht

Persian
Hello,

Would you please tell the meaning of Boom in the following text?
..........,said the Argentine novelist Rodrigo Fresán. "His books are political, but in a way that is more personal than militant or demagogic, that is closer to the mystique of the beatniks" than the "Boom.

"http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/10/arts/10iht-bolano.html?pagewanted=1

Does it refer to The Latin American Boom?a literary movement of the 1960s and 1970s when the work of a group of relatively young Latin American novelists became widely circulated in Europe and throughout the world.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
  • Egmont

English - U.S.
    Earlier in the article, it says "he produced a torrent of novels, short stories and essays that chart a path distinct from the "Boom generation" of Latin American writers before him." (Thank you for providing the source and link.)

I think "Boom" means the same thing the second time it's used, even though the writer left off the word "generation." So, this means "... closer to the mystique of the beatniks than the 'Boom generation' was."

I think your description of what it means is correct. However, I think this Wikipedia page is a better information source than the one you linked to. It also seems to be the source of your description.

< Previous | Next >