Boot camp (delinquants)

< Previous | Next >

Keli33

British English
I'm looking an equivalent to 'boot camp'. The dictionary gives it as 'camp d'entraînement' but I'm looking for something which captures the idea of a place where juvenile delinquants/young offenders are sent as punishment and to reform them. Any ideas?

• AudeS

French
    Not sure... Maybe the expression you're looking for is "maison de correction"... Check out the meaning on google to see if it corresponds to your "boot camp"!

Keli33

British English
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had second thoughts about those because they seemed to have connotations with the 19th Century so I thought they would sound too old fashioned!

mplsray

Thanks for the suggestions. I had second thoughts about those because they seemed to have connotations with the 19th Century so I thought they would sound too old fashioned!
    Canada has correctional boot camps for youth (all voluntary, according to Wikipedia, in order to avoid any violations of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms), so Canadian French would presumably have a need to discuss them at some point. As far as I can tell, however, the term used in Canadian French is "boot camp."

The Grand dictionnaire terminologique of the Office québecois de la langue française gives only the armed forces translation of "boot camp" (camp d'entrainement, mentioned earlier in this thread).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >