boot camp

< Previous | Next >

Josiah Carberry

US English
Bonjour à tous,

Je cherche à traduire en français le terme américain boot camp. On connait, bien entendu, camp d'entrainement, mais je ne sais pas si ce terme a la même force et impact que boot camp. Les français seraient-ils choqués de voir boot camp sans traduction ? Est-ce compréhensible ? Y a-t-il un autre terme, éventuellement plus argotique, signifiant la même chose ?

Merci infiniment,
Josh

Moderator note: Several threads merged.
Note de modération : Plusieurs fils fusionnés.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Moon Palace

French
    I believe very few French people would understand boot camp. But if you want us to help you with a better translation than camp d'entraînement, could you please provide more context? I know that boot camps can be used for young military recruits, but they can also be used for young offenders, and the French translation will need to make the difference.

Josiah Carberry

US English
    It has become popular for intensive IT training courses to be described as boot camps. This provides a powerful image of participants who enter the enter the training with little or know knowledge, and who leave the training with the skills required to perform a certain function - all done in the shortest possible time. The training delivers practical, rather than theoretical, competences and tools.

Formation intensive does not conjure up such images. I am looking for a more powerful way of expressing the concept.

-Josh

iuytr

french
    Bonjour,

Le fil date de 2008 et une recherche de bootcamp en français dans un moteur de recherche montre la progression de ce terme en France en 2015 dans les domaines de la remise en forme et des TIC. Ce sont les mêmes domaines d'usage qu'aux USA et donc un copié-collé direct de l'anglais avec le même sens.
    On peut supposer que la remise en forme/entrainement vient des boots militaires (bottes, chaussures montantes) et qu'il y a eu un jeu de mot à partir du boot des systeme d'exploitation informatique (initialiser, démarrer)

Pour le livre, par assimilation ,ça donne plus ou moins un mélange entre base de départ, fondamentaux et exercices d'entrainement pour le backgammon

Language Hound

American English
    Whenever I see or hear "boot camp" used in a non-military or non-juvenile offender context in AE,
    the meaning is always:
    : a short but very difficult training program : a program or situation that helps people become much better at doing something in a short period of time
    Source: Merriam-Webster

So the Backgammon boot camp would turn novice or average backgammon players
    into very good players, just as the Dev Bootcamp turned beginners into web developers.
    (By the way, I see no link whatsoever between "boot/reboot" (computer terms) and "boot camp.")

Reynald

Français - France
    a short but very difficult training program : a program or situation that helps people become much better at doing something in a short period of time
    Est-ce que ce sens est devenu habituel, sans connotation particulière ? Ou est-ce qu'il contient nécessairement une touche d'humour ?
    (Je l'ai rencontré à propos d'un stage intensif d'une semaine consacré à la pratique d'un instrument de musique, et il m'a semblé que l'allusion militaire était humoristique. Pas certain.)

Language Hound

American English
    The meaning I cited is used fairly frequently (only in the U.S. and Canada according to many dictionaries)
    with the connotation that it is a short and rigorous program designed to improve one's competences,
    much like a military boot camp whips new recruits into shape.

I don't think there's any humor intended.
    Some may think it's a funny term ("funny" meaning "strange" not "haha").
    For me, a backgammon boot camp or a violin boot camp simply conveys
    the idea that the goal is to improve one's game/playing by means of a
    short and fairly difficult program.
    I personally would not use "backgammon/violin/... boot camp"
    in a very formal context.

franc 91

English - GB
    On the website of la Ministère des Armées, the terms they use are - stage commando - and - stage d'aguerrissement, which obviously refer more to the basic military training itself that future army officers undergo, rather than the place where it takes place, ie in this case, the CNEC. There are commercial organisations that offer this kind of thing, which they call - stages de survie or jungle etc.

< Previous | Next >