Boot stripe


New Member
English - England
Bonjour tout le monde,

Quelqu'un peut m'aider avec la traduction de "boot stripe" s'il vous plait?

I'm having trouble translating this nautical term. It is the technical name for the differently coloured stripe of paint which appears on the hull of a boat below the water line. The topside is known as "oeuvres mortes" but there is no translation for this part. In addition to this if anyone knows how to say boot top stripe - an even thinner stripe which is sometimes found between the two sections this would be much appreciated.

All I can think of is: "rayon de boot". I know this is totally wrong but rules are rules.

It would be very helpful if anyone knew where I could find a nautical French/English glossary because I'm going to have a lot of similar queries in the future.

Thanks in advance,

  • reallyangryguy

    New Member
    English - England
    I was wondering about "ligne de flottaison". It's not strictly correct as "waterline" is the equivalent and that is a little too general. The "oeuvres vives" is closer to the mark I think and makes sense logically. The boot top stripe is really more of a paint feature at the top of the boot stripe. I think it may be best just to describe that part as "un rayon qui divise les deux parties de la coque". Thank you both for your efforts and the glossary is very useful too.
    < Previous | Next >