bootslitting

liviup

romanian
Friends,

I am reading 'A scandal in Bohemia' by Conan Doyle. Please help me understand the marked word in this context:
"Hence, you see, my double deduction that you had been out in vile weather, and that you had a particularly malignant bootslitting specimen of the London slavey"

Thank you

• The answer is found in the passage itself. Holmes notices that Watson's shoe has been damaged by his careless servant when she scraped the mud off of it. A "slavey" is a servant girl. Because of her carelessness, she is the sort of servant who puts gouges and scrapes (or "slits", as one might make with a razor or a knife, although in this case it was done with whatever she used to scrape the mud off) in the shoes (or "boots") of her employer.

liviup

romanian
    Thank you, GreenWhiteBlue! I just couldn't grasp the verb slit in this composed word (Actually I was thinking of boots + vb. lit, which made no sense). Have a nice day

Redmile Bips

English
    Hello everyone,
    Trailing to the above explanation what is the meaning of malignant referring to in the sentence highlighted...