Bootstrap (verb)

< Previous | Next >

chris_

Italian / Italy
Hi there!

The context is "computing".

I was wondering if "bootstrap" can be used as a verb in english (besides as a noun).
The WR dictionary tells me it's just a noun, but the term bootstrapping (which should come from the verb) seems also widely used (for instance, looking for that word in Google)...

So what do you think? :)
Thank you!

• Jana337

čeština
    Yes, you can bootstrap a sample, data etc. :)
    Don't you want to show us how you would use it? Knowing that you can use it and using it correctly are two different things. :p

chris_

Italian / Italy
    Thank you Jana!

Yes, you can bootstrap a sample, data etc. :)
    Don't you want to show us how you would use it? Knowing that you can use it and using it correctly are two different things. :p
    Sure! I just didn't think about examples...
    Let's see... Maybe:
    Servers' task is to bootstrap users
    in the sense that "servers give some informations/indications to users in a network so to help them find something, for instance other clients"
    In case it couldn't be used as a transitive the example would become like this:
    Servers' task is to help users bootstrap

Do you think they sound good?

Maybe it's more confusing than before... I do hope it's not so! :p

baldpate

UK, English
    The most fundamental use in a computing context is probably that related to the 'cold' start of a computer, when switched on. The computer is said to bootstrap itself (reflexive use) - although strictly speaking the thing which is being bootstrapped is the software operating system. The process is so commonly spoken of that the term has now been abbreviated, and we normally talk of booting or rebooting a computer, as "You need to reboot the computer after installing the new software". Here a human is boostrapping the computer (transitive use).

< Previous | Next >