bord à bord

ajs_bath

English - GB
Hello,

I'm translating an interview with the president of a major airline who talks about "le bord à bord", which appears to be a reference to certain types of services or routes.

For example:
Notre démarche ciblait : la réduction de l’offre de sièges Bord à Bord, en particulier de 7% sur l’été 2015, l’optimisation de la programmation des dessertes hors OSP pour mieux coller à la demande, la location d’un ATR72 à Air Serbia jusqu’en 2020, la stabilisation de la masse salariale ainsi que la baisse des coûts.

Despite searching fairly extensively, I'm none the wiser as to what the expression means or how to put it into English. Any ideas?
Thank you

• Michelvar

quasimodo
    French from France
    Hi,

This is special vocabulary for Corsica, I think.

Liaison bord-à-bord = air and sea route between the south coast of mainland France (Marseille, Toulon, Nice) and Corsica. = intended to make as if mainland France and Corsica where sharing an edge.

By the way, be careful, it's not "OSP", it's "DSP", meaning "Délégation de Service Public" = money given by government to insure that there is always a way to travel between mainland France and Corsica, even when the plane or boat would not be profitable for a private company.

ajs_bath

English - GB
    Hello Michelvar

Thanks for coming to my aid - again!

Indeed, it is about Corsica. So if I just called it a "France-Corsica" route, without getting into jargon, do you think that would be accurate enough?

OSP isn't a typo in fact. The text talks about DSPs and OSPs.. for the latter, I found "obligations de service public" in official govt texts, so hopefully that is what it is !

Michelvar

quasimodo
    French from France
    So if I just called it a "France-Corsica" route, without getting into jargon, do you think that would be accurate enough?
    Yes, unless they give different figures for "bord-à-bord" and "Paris". In this case, you will have to find a different wording for "liaisons between Marseille/Toulon/Nice and Corsica", and "liaisons beetwen the other towns (mostly Paris) and Corsica".

< Previous | Next >