border and stripe: Which is common?

< Previous | Next >

mikichan

Chinese
Hello.

Which is common and how common each of them are they in your mother tongue, border or stripe (borders/stripes) to call a pattern with many straight lines (stripes)??

No Forever21 uses the term border, but GAP uses for their "stripe-border scarf."

Can they both be the vertical or horizontal lines, or do borders mean only horizontal lines?

Thank you!

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I believe that the definitions of each of these will answer your question.

A border goes around the edge of scarf.
    A stripe is a straight line that can be anywhere, but usually is not on the edge. (If it were on the edge, they usually call it a 'border'.) A pattern with many straight lines is usually called 'striped', though sometimes 'stripe' is used as an adjective. Stripes can be either horizontal or vertical.

I don't know what the GAP's stripe-border scarf looks like, but I would imagine that more than one line goes around the edge of the scarf.

If this doesn't answer your question, please describe more clearly what you are thinking of.

sdgraham

USA English
    They are far, far from meaning the same thing.

You can find stripes down the middle of a paved highway. They are not borders

A scarf might have a stripe around its border ... or not.

Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::

border /ˈbɔːdə/n
    • a band or margin around or along the edge of something

Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::

stripe /straɪp/n
    • a relatively long band of distinctive colour or texture that differs from the surrounding material or background

mikichan

Chinese
    Thank you Cagey and sdgraham!

The gap scarf has a wide striped border on both long sides of the fabric.
    It is wrapped around a neck of a torso, so the design was not clear to me at first but now it's clear why the word "border" was used for the name of this product.

Thank you again!

< Previous | Next >