border crossings is border checkpoint or people.. ?

< Previous | Next >

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi

I want to write my document that "There are much border crossings/a lot of border crossing (no s?) in hot season when no rain." But I am not sure "border crossings" is border checkpoint or border-crossing people?

Thanks.

• owlman5

English-US
    If you want to specify a specific location through which people cross a border and have their papers checked by guards, then "border checkpoint" sounds good. "Border-crossing post" is another possibility. Using "border crossing" by itself as a noun is possible, but I prefer to use other terms, as this can be confused with the term "border crossing" that refers to the action performed by people when crossing borders.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thak you owlman5.. By "border crossing" here I mean that a lot of people go to other countries and back to my country a lot in hot season when no rain.. So is my understanding right for this meaning of this phrase? "There are much border crossings/a lot of border crossing (no s?) in hot season when no rain."

owlman5

English-US
    That sounds pretty good, Camlearner. I'd change "much" to "many" or use "a lot of":
    There are many border crossings in the hot season when it doesn't rain.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thank you. I met that word border crossings before but I feel like it a checkpoint and also people crossing.. ;)

owlman5

English-US
    Thank you. I met that word border crossings before but I feel like it a checkpoint and also people crossing.. ;)
    If you want to avoid any possible misunderstanding, you could always phrase the idea this way: People often cross the border during the hot season when there is little or no rainfall.

It's never a bad idea to express the agent of the action-"people"-if there's any possibility of confusion about some noun or noun phrase. It's almost always easier to understand a sentence that tells us about a physical being who performs an action. Abstract noun phrases can be ambiguous, as is the noun phrase "border crossings" in your sentence.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thank you for your recommendation. I also like your word when there is little or no rainfall. I can't think to recall that good word rainfall!

< Previous | Next >