border-trespassing illegal

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member
Hungary, Hungarian
Hi there,

I'm looking for a term used in context of borders of countries. What do you call that part of a border between two countries where trespassing is not allowed. I'm talking of course about coutries like Hungary and Ukraine for instance where Hungary is part of the EU whereas Ukraine is not, there are strict checkings at borders. Smugglers smuggle things in this part of the areo of two countries. We call in the Greenborder in Hunharian, it might not be much of a help, though.

Thank you
  • Loob

    Senior Member
    English UK
    Hi Ego

    I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I think we usually talk about borders being "permeable" or "impermeable", as in this article Europe is ready for a common borders policy:
    Europe’s borders are both permeable and impermeable; the EU’s philosophy is that its external borders should be as permeable as possible to legitimate flows of passengers and goods, and impermeable to illicit activity.


    Senior Member
    Might "no man's land" work? As Wikipedia tells us, it is

    most commonly associated with the First World War to describe the area of land between two enemy trenches
    but it has come to mean areas where any presence is, at best, suspicious.


    Senior Member
    English, AE
    He is talking about the buffer zone.

    buff·er zone • n. a neutral area serving to separate hostile forces or nations. ∎ an area of land designated for environmental protection: oyster harvesters are not allowed in certain buffer zones.

    Sorry, I said she.
    Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >