Bore someone blind

< Previous | Next >

Worcestershire

”Among the fragile artists, he stands out as a survival from a different time. But he will bore you blinder than he ever has been bored in the ring if you sit near him for season.”

——“Death in the afternoon” by Hemingway

Hemingway was discussing the artistic style, or lacke thereof, of various matadors in killing the bulls. If this particular matador, Hemingway told that he was so lacking the artistic style or imagination (and perhaps the patience) in his bullfighting, he would often mumur in the ring “Come on. Hurry it up. I am bored here.” Hemingway complained that he killed bulls so quickly and indiscriminately that ge killed all the bulls in the same way without regard to the characteristics of a particular bull.

My question here is why he used the “blind” here? I checked and did not find “bore someone blind” as a customary usage or idiom.

Did Hemingway try to refer to the matador’s blindly treating all bulls in the same way?

• Uncle Jack

British English
    I think it is (or was) idiomatic usage. Today you can bore the pants off someone or bore them stupid. I'm pretty sure I've come across bore someone blind before; it has a nice alliterative ring to it and is no less likely than the more common expressions I know. However, it is certainly not common today.

There doesn't appear to be a link with Fortuna blindly treating all bulls the same way. The repeated word is 'bored' not 'blind', and 'blind' isn't an obvious term for a reader to think of in respect of Fortuna's style.

< Previous | Next >