bore the hallmark

< Previous | Next >
  • dreamlike

Polish
    The definition of 'bear' that applies here is 'to carry'. Hallmark means here 'distinguishing feature' (WR dictionary).
    The sentence as a whole means 'the attack is reminiscent of that made by Al Qaeda in Iraq' -- it has all its main features.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    The sentence as a whole means 'the attack is reminiscent of that made by Al Qaeda in Iraq' -- it has all its main features.
    It's stronger than "reminiscent." Imagine a piece of paper bearing the stamp or signature of some person. You would automatically expect that it came from that person. The metaphor here compares the attack to such a piece of paper - it's as if the attack carries all the signatures that would mark it as belonging to the Iraqi branch of Al Qaeda.

dreamlike

Polish
    It's stronger than "reminiscent." Imagine a piece of paper bearing the stamp or signature of some person. You would automatically expect that it came from that person. The metaphor here compares the attack to such a piece of paper - it's as if the attack carries all the signatures that would mark it as belonging to the Iraqi branch of Al Qaeda.
    Yes, I know it's stronger than that but I was struggling to come up with a way to rephrase the sentence other than using the word 'reminiscent'. :eek:

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Yes, I know it's stronger than that but I was struggling to come up with a way to rephrase the sentence other than using the word 'reminiscent'. :eek:
    It's difficult to paraphrase, isn't it? Well, I didn't mean to nitpick you too much; I just wanted to add on to your answer to make it as complete as possible.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Bear in mind that a typical hallmark on English silver includes the date, quality, place of assay and the maker's symbol. Lists of these symbols are not hard to find.

So to bear someone's hallmark is tantamount to having their name and address on it!

< Previous | Next >