bore to ...

< Previous | Next >

Echo7

Persian
Hi,
The following sentences are from a book in the field of accounting.
I don't understand the meaning of "bore" in this context.

It was decided to estimate the total profit and to take to the credit of profit and loss account that proportion of estimated profit on cash basis which the work completed bore to the total contract.

... and that such provision should be increased by taking to the credit of Profit and Loss Account only such proportion of 2/3rds profit as the cash received bore to work certified.

I can't even make a guess !
Please help me.

Last edited:
  • Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    :thumbsup:.

The key word in both sentences is "proportion".

that proportion ... which the work completed bore to the total contract.
    such proportion ... as the cash received bore to work certified.

Echo7

Persian
    The key here is: The proportion which X bears to Y. They are talking about ratios. Bore is the past tense of bears.
    :thumbsup:.

The key word in both sentences is "proportion".

that proportion ... which the work completed bore to the total contract.
    such proportion ... as the cash received bore to work certified.
    Thanks,
    Could you please give a synonymous for "bear" in this context?

JamesM

"represented"? That's the only one-word synonym I can think of that gives roughly the same meaning.

For example, if the estimated profit for the contract was $100,000 and 60% of the work had been done, the proportion of work completed is 0.6 (or 60% in percentages). In that case, 60% (or 0.6) of the total estimated profit amount ($100,00) would be taken as a credit to the Profit and Loss account; in other words, you would credit Profit and Loss $60,000.

Echo7

Persian
    "represented"? That's the only one-word synonym I can think of that gives roughly the same meaning.

For example, if the estimated profit for the contract was $100,000 and 60% of the work had been done, the proportion of work completed is 0.6 (or 60% in percentages). In that case, 60% (or 0.6) of the total estimated profit amount ($100,00) would be taken as a credit to the Profit and Loss account; in other words, you would credit Profit and Loss $60,000.
    Thanks a lot.

< Previous | Next >