born a weaver

< Previous | Next >

dewylotus

chinese
I came across a sentence in a text-book The Royal readers:"Every spider is born a weaver". I am not sure whether it is correct. I think it might be " Every spider is a born weaver". Please help me out of the puzzlement.Thanks.

• exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Both are good English sentences, that describe the same reality in different ways.

a born X means an X by nature so that a born weaver is someone who weaves without being taught.

is born an X mans is an X from the time of its birth.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I agree in essence with Exgerman's distinction between the two phrases.

To be born a weaver
    is not suggesting that the little fellow was weaving two seconds after birth. It suggests that he was born probably into a family of weavers and started weaving as soon as could be reasonably expected.

To be a born weaver
    doesn't necessarily mean that one is a weaver, just that something has suggested that one would be very good at it if one did it. The phrase means that one has a great natural aptitude for weaving.

As can be seen, these are very different things.

tracker890

Chinese
    Dear Everyone:
    ref. this thread.
    I got a bit confuse about the "born" in the sentences as follows,
    and please help to understand what different about the sentences.

Sentences:
    (1) He is born a leader.
    (2) He is a born leader.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    You could say 'He was born a leader' using the past tense. You might then tell how he organised all the games at kindergarten.
    'He's a born leader' refers to present leadership skills. I suppose that it does mean he was born with such abilities but the emphasis is on present achievements. Writing about the expressions makes me wonder what they really mean! It's not like spiders innate ability to weave webs.

kentix

English - U.S.
    He is a born leader means he has the personality and temperament and other skills that make him naturally good at leading other people. It is something that has always been a part of his personality.

< Previous | Next >