Born in/to/into a family,

jesusguime

Banned
Chinese
Born in/to/into a poor family, h hadto struggle to earn his living.

Hi,
Do in, to, and into fit in the above and mean about the same to you? Thanks.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    I must disagree with PidginBoy. "Born into" and "Born to" a poor family are the best options. "Born in" isn't usually used in this way. He wasn't "born in" a family, he was "born into" or "born to" a poor family.

Bonjules

German
    I must disagree with PidginBoy. "Born into" and "Born to" a poor family are the best options. "Born in" isn't usually used in this way. He wasn't "born in" a family, he was "born into" or "born to" a poor family.
    I also agree with Dimcl.
    However, 'within' somehow seems a little more acceptable than 'in',
    althouth probably not as good as the 2 other options.

sound shift

English - England
    My vote goes to "born into a poor family".

He/she wasn't born to a poor family; he/she was born to his/her mother and father.

He/she wasn't born in a poor family; he/she was born in a house/a hospital/poverty, etc.

PaleeZ

Persian(farsi)
    I used to think that IN is correct but now that I checked it I see INTO is correct
    as in this example:Diana was born into an aristocratic family.

KON

Born to a rich/poor family will be my best choice, but I have also heard born into so I wonder how the outcome of this thread will turn out.

Jenny was born to a poor family to a British father and a Dutch mother.

Last edited:

Rachel85

Chinese-English
    "Born into a farm family, I do not have a good study environment."
    Is "born into" in the setence right? or should it be replaced by
    "born in"

sdgraham

USA English
    You can be born "into" a family, but you might be born "in" a hospital or "on" a street corner, depending on the location and circumstances.

As to your complete sentence, it lacks logic. I think you're looking for a word other than "environment" or a different time description.

In other words, your birth parents cannot be assumed to control your present physical environment. If such is the case, you need to craft the sentence differently.

srta chicken

US English
    "Study environment" sounds OK to me, a teacher who has heard the phrase a lot. But sdgraham's point is well taken, and it would be helpful if you added something to the effect of, "The constant noise of barnyard animals makes it impossible to concentrate," --or, include whatever it is you are referring to.

mplsray

"Born into a farm family, I do not have a good study environment."
    Is "born into" in the setence right? or should it be replaced by
    "born in"
    Although I see examples of "born in a(n) [adjective] family" on the Internet via Google, it strikes me as odd. It seems much more usual to me to say "born into a(n) [adjective] family" as in: Born into a farm family. Born into an artistic family. Born into a Catholic family.

WildWest

Turkish
    Added to previous thread.
    Cagey, moderator

I'm personally inclined to say, for instance, "born to a wealthy family" as a non-native speaker, but I have just heard "born in a poor family" in Narcos' official trailer. It may be a matter of style. Perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It may be.
    I would use 'into' here, or 'to', but I'm not inclined to criticize the writers for Narcos for their choice.

Krishnaprasad

Tamil & English
    This is what Oxford dictionary says:
    I was born in 1976.
    He was born in a small village in northern Spain.
    She was born with a weak heart.
    She was born into a very musical family.
    He was born of/to German parents.

< Previous | Next >