born of nobility

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
-- And then old Dr. Cleary deduced that Misery must be Lady Evelyn-Hyde's long-lost daughterbecause of the rarity of deadly bee stings, my heart just leapt! I've known from the very first book that Misery had to be born of nobility and I was right!
Misery, movie

Is it grammatical? I mean using OF instead of INTO?

Thank you.

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    "Born of nobility" means that her parents were noble, or at least of noble ancestry. "Born into nobility" would mean that she was born into a noble family. The meanings are similar, but there is a difference in emphasis: in the first case on her parents, in the second case on her.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    "Born of nobility" means that her parents were noble, or at least of noble ancestry. "Born into nobility" would mean that she was born into a noble family. The meanings are similar, but there is a difference in emphasis: in the first case on her parents, in the second case on her.
    I see; one question -- is it the same "of" as in, e.g., "made of gold"?...

lingobingo

English - England
    I wouldn't say it's like "made of gold", which means that gold is the material something consists of, is formed from.

No one consists of nobility, but they can have/possess it — in the sense of being endowed (by birth) with high rank or status. If you're high-born, you're described as "of high birth".

< Previous | Next >