... born with 300 bones ... 206 bones 'on' adulthood ...

Er.S.M.M.Hanifa

Banned
Tamil
Hi everybody,
1. Humans are born with 300 bones and have 206 bones on adulthood.
Is my sentence above correct or not?
Can we make this sentence more elegant?
Could anyone help?
Thanks,
Er.S.M.M.Hanifa

• tepatria

Canadian English
    At birth a human has 300 bones, but only 206 in adulthood. One does not say on adulthood. Does this sound more elegant? Is this true? I wonder what happens to the other 94 bones, and where are they in the body of a baby. Time to do some research!

Copyright

American English
    Yes, forgetting the accuracy, here are some variations:
    Humans are born with 300 bones, but only have 206 bones as adults.
    Human babies have 300 bones, but only 206 as adults.

And my favorite for parallel structure:
    Humans have 300 bones at birth, but only 206 as adults.

I'm always wavering between have only and only have. Only have sounds better spoken, but have only might be more correct.Or it might be personal choice.

Last edited:

Cypherpunk

US, English
    Only have indicates that they have only one thing or group of things. Have only indicates that they have a limited number of the things that are available. So, the first describes the limits of what they have, while the second suggests that (having) much more is possible.
    Of course, the two phrases are used interchangeably, so this distinction is probably not as clear now as it once was.

Copyright

American English
    Only have indicates that they have only one thing or group of things. Have only indicates that they have a limited number of the things that are available. So, the first describes the limits of what they have, while the second suggests that (having) much more is possible.
    Of course, the two phrases are used interchangeably, so this distinction is probably not as clear now as it once was.
    Thank you... I'm correcting it (I think) now. :)

< Previous | Next >