born-with-a silver-spoon-in their-mouths

Lighe

ITALIAN
Hi friends!
Just your attention for the following expression "born-with-a silver-spoon-in their-mouths" ,which I found in an article on a reader' letter written on "Newsweek", referring to rich people.

The meaning obviously is clear.

I just want to know whether it is an "idiomatic expression" that is actually being used in the anglo-saxon areas.

Thanks in advance

• mplsray

Hi friends!
    Just your attention for the following expression "born-with-a silver-spoon-in their-mouths" ,which I found in an article on a reader' letter written on "Newsweek", referring to rich people.

The meaning obviously is clear.

I just want to know whether it is an "idiomatic expression" that is actually being used in the anglo-saxon areas.

Thanks in advance
    The expression as it appears in Newsweek is "born with a silver spoon in their mouths," enclosed in quotes, having no hyphens, and used as an adjective modifying the word status.

The expression by itself, as in "He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth," has certainly been used in American English to refer to someone born into a rich family, although I haven't heard it used in quite a while. When I did hear it or see it used in print, it was used as in my example, not as an adjective. But the letter writer's use of it as an adjective is a logical extension of the phrase, and looks better appearing between quotes and without any hyphens than does your born-with-a-silver-spoon-in-their-mouths.

Addition: The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer has it in the form born with a silver spoon, which sounds a bit odd to me.

Last edited:

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I'd say this is a well-known expression - and if you were looking for a christening present, you will see silver spoons being offered by shops! (I should know - we have one and don't know what to do with it.)

< Previous | Next >