borrow/rent an apartment

< Previous | Next >

SoLaTiDoberman

Japanese
We need to -------- an apartment while we stay in Osaka.
1 . borrow
2 . rend
3 . hire
4 . lent
This is from TOEIC (Test Of English for International Communication).
The correct answer shown by the examiner is 1, and I have to agree with it because there is no other possible choice here.
However, I think the correct answer should be "rent."

I learned that "to borrow" is used for borrowing something ambulatory from the original place for free, such as "to borrow scissors."
In case of a house, or a rent-a-car, when we have to make a contract and pay the money, we should choose the verb "rent."

Which is more natural for you to say,
"We need to borrow an apartment while we stay in Osaka"
or
"We need to rent an apartment while we stay in Osaka" ?

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I agree that "rent" would fit better than "borrow", which implies to me that you were going to use a friend's apartment free of charge.

However, that's not one of the options you're given, and the only other one which would fit there is (3) 'hire', but that's used more in the context of cars than apartments.

Barque

Tamil
    After I read the example, I was wondering if option 2 (rend) was a typo for rent. But since SoLaTiDoberman says the correct answer according to the examiner is borrow, I suppose it is meant to be rend.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think we can talk about borrowing a house, flat, apartment etc, but this is usually in the context of holding a function or a photoshoot or similar. This, however, does not seem to be the situation in the sentence given. I suppose borrow is possible for a short-term stay.

SoLaTiDoberman

Japanese
    Thanks!
    I didn't think of the duration of the stay.

We can use "borrow an apartment" when we stay there free of charge and for a short-term duration.
    Am I understanding correctly?

Andygc

British English
    Yes, but the duration is irrelevant (although it seems unlikely that anybody would lend you their apartment for 2 years).
    Borrow an apartment - free.
    Rent an apartment - pay.

Jason_2_toi

English-Scotland
    We can use "borrow an apartment" when we stay there free of charge and for a short-term duration.
    Am I understanding correctly?

Yes, it's a favour, not involving payment. Usually you would know the people.
    Rend is obviously a typo.

< Previous | Next >