Bosnian (BCS): I miss you

• pioums

French
    If I (a man) missed a woman, I've to say "nedostajala si mi", that's right? and phonetically, how does it sound?

Thank you very much for helping me

Reason: Rule 22 - proper capitalization and punctuation required!
    -----
    Sorry, i didn't knew that.

I've to say "nedostajala si mi", that's right?

That's right.
    how does it sound?
    Well, just read it. It sounds the same way that it's written.:D
    Well, I'm not good enough for explaining that.:(
    (I'm not good in English, too):rolleyes:

Spelling is always the same. I can write here how every letter sounds, if you want...

jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
    I agree the spelling is phonetic, but maybe saying where the accent should be placed in the first word might help.

And I assume the j is pronounced y.

Well, for me, and I'm original speaker :D there's no accent in that word.
    Maybe, someone else can tell you that, I really don't know.
    n (like name)
    e (like egg)
    d (like dad)
    o (like object)
    s (like save)
    t (like table)
    a (like alphabet)
    j (like yellow)
    a (like alphabet)
    l (like land)
    a (like alphabet)

s (like save)
    i (like illusion)

m (like mum)
    i (like illusion)

just say it, with no accent, she will understand you, believe me. :)

piccolina1977

Croatia, USA
    pioums said:
    If I (a man) missed a woman, I've to say "nedostajala si mi", that's right? and phonetically, how does it sound?

Thank you very much for helping me

Here is how we would write the pronounciation for the English-speaking people:

nedostajala si mi:
    neh-doh-stayalah see me

note: the emphasized part is underlined, all the vowels are short and all the 'a' sounds are like the 'a' in the word 'father'

I hope that helps!

Vanja

vatreno

Scooby-Doo
    So... when I see someone I would say nedostajao ti (I missed you)? Close? Or would this not be good because it is like a finished action? Kind of depends on how the person listening would take that hahaha.

Any corrections or opinions on the context are welcome

Athaulf

Croatian/Bosnia, Croatia
    So... when I see someone I would say nedostajao ti (I missed you)?

No, what you wrote is ungrammatical. The correct form is nedostajao si mi if you're saying it to a man, and nedostajala si mi if you're saying it to a woman.

The structure of this sentence in BCS is different from its English counterpart. When you say "I missed you" in English, "I" is the subject, and "you" is the object of the verb. In BCS, however, the verb nedostajati works the other way: the person to whom you're telling that you missed him/her is the subject, and you are the (indirect) object, kind of as if you said "you were missing to me" (which would of course mean something else in English). Additionally, the subject pronoun is normally omitted in sentences like this, so the correct form is nedostajao/la si mi, where nedostajao/la si is the 2nd person singular past tense of the verb nedostajati, and mi means "to me".