both..and + the latter... former

< Previous | Next >

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
Hello, guys

I am writing an essay and I got bogged down in a sentence. Here is a paragraph:

However, the influence that the internet have exercised over the people’s life over the past 10 years is astounding. It has changed the people’s routine in such a way that only can be compared to the effect that the electricity had when it was discovered. Both the latter and the former not only have caused drastic changes to the everyday life, but also have transformed the framework of the society as a whole.

My question is: is my sentence "Both the latter and the former not only have caused drastic changes..." odd? I mean, can I use "both...and" with "the latter..and the former"?

Thanks

• The Newt

English - US
    We normally say "both the former and the latter," rather than the other way around, but yes, you can say that.

<moderator note: extensive re-write removed. Please remember that we have a rule against general proofreading. Thanks.>

Last edited by a moderator:

The Newt

English - US
    why can't I say "in such a way"?
    You could almost use it, but it doesn't quite fit. You could use "in such a way" in this kind of situation: "It has changed people’s routines in such a way that their lives are no longer the same." That is, it's not really used to compare one thing to another, but to describe the extent or manner in which something is to be measured.

< Previous | Next >