both smart and substantial gear

ewanek

Czech Republic/Czech
I have already asked about the first sentence quoted below but it turned out that, unfortunately, I didn'get the meaning of the second one either. What does the phrase "both smart and substantial gear" mean please?

Also, having read the sentence over and over for numerous times, I am not able to tell whether there is one sort of gear, which is smart&substantial at the same time, or two types of gear, one of which is smart and the other one substantial. I suppose English does distinguish these two situations; but to my shame I am not able to do so. Thank you for your help. ewanek

There's no need for you and your family to rough it in the great outdoors. The boat comes totally stacked with both smart and substantial gear. It's a beauty with brains.

My guess I: "electronic gear and indispensable extras"
My guess II: "indispensable electronic gear"

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    The clue to the answer is in the word "both", Ewanek. The boat is stacked with "both smart and substantial gear." It simply means that some of the gear is smart and some of the gear is substantial.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Here, the adjective "smart" describes the gear as stylish or attractive in appearance. But lest one think that the gear looks nice but is not functional, the writer also says that it is "substantial," that there is value to the gear beyond the superficial. For example, this might mean that the gear is also useful, practical or easy to use, and durable.

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    This is advertising puff that has no particular meaning.
    When you read on, you may find out what they think this means, or you may not.
    It has no specific meaning to most normal people.

Yours, cynically,
    panj

ewanek

Czech Republic/Czech
    This is advertising puff that has no particular meaning.
    When you read on, you may find out what they think this means, or you may not.
    It has no specific meaning to most normal people.

Yours, cynically,
    panj
    Thank you, cordially (without a trace of irony). ewanek

< Previous | Next >