both

Andre Balian

English, uSA
Ciao miei amici,

I just recently learned that "entrambi" can be used to say both. I had learned before that "tutti e due" meant both, but I was mis-hearing it as "tutti a due".

It may sound a bit insensitive, but "tutti e due" makes no damn sense. :p Literally "all and two" or "everybody and two". The preposition di seems to be more logical, like "all two of everybody" but hey, non posso cambiarla.

My audio lessons say that "tutti e due" is always used at the end of a sentence. I assume "entrambi" is more versatile.

Can you give me a few examples of entrambi?

Grazie a tutti

• winnie

italy, italian
    'ieri parlavo con Paolo e Chiara, entrambi mi hanno chiesto tue notizie'
    'nel gioco della roulette punto sul rosso o sul nero. Entrambi pagano la stessa vincita'

RCC

italy
    Andre Balian said:
    Ciao miei amici,

I just recently learned that "entrambi" can be used to say both. I had learned before that "tutti e due" meant both, but I was mis-hearing it as "tutti a due".

It may sound a bit insensitive, but "tutti e due" makes no damn sense. :p Literally "all and two" or "everybody and two". The preposition di seems to be more logical, like "all two of everybody" but hey, non posso cambiarla.

My audio lessons say that "tutti e due" is always used at the end of a sentence. I assume "entrambi" is more versatile.

Can you give me a few examples of entrambi?

Grazie a tutti

I think they are sinonimi:
    Tutti e due/Entrambi hanno gli occhi azzurri,
    Tutte e due/Entrambe sono delle belle ragazze,
    Sono stati gentili tutti e due/entrambi,
    Erano vestite da sera tutte e due/entrambe,
    RCC

_sandra_

Poland - Polish
    I always thought 'entrambi/e' was more formal version of 'tutti/e e due'... Can one use either of them no matter the context/situation? I mean would you really use 'entrmi/e' in a casual chat?

thanks,
    sandra

RCC

italy
    Nel parlare "entrambi" effettivamente suona un po' più formale, ma nello scritto li puoi usare entrambi senza problemi, anche chattando.
    Do you agree, Sandra?
    RCC

Silvia B

Italy - Italian
    RCC said:
    Nel parlare "entrambi" effettivamente suona un po' più formale, ma nello scritto li puoi usare entrambi senza problemi, anche chattando.
    Do you agree, Sandra?
    RCC

Concordo. Nello scritto è perfetto in qualsiasi situazione, ma nella lingua parlata suona formale.

Ciao :)

Andre Balian

English, uSA
    So okay, how would you say "both of us", or "us both"?

Per esempio:
    Are you talking to both of us?
    Both of us have green eyes.

Are you talking to us both?
    This is for us both to share.

The latter configuration sounds awkward, but I believe it is gramatically correct in english.

I'm guessing ci is appropriate...

Quali e` giusti?

Ci entrambi...
    Tutti e due di noi...
    Noi tutti e due... (looks wrong)
    Noi entrambi...
    Entrambi di noi...

or none of the above. :D (niente di sopra?)

_sandra_

Poland - Polish
    Well of course i agree RCC.. you are native, so i'm sure you are right:) I just thought i havent heard entrambi in a casual, informal conversation..

Thanks a lot for making it clear !

'Ambedue' - i don't know it at all... another formal word? Is it used often?

ciao:)

silvietta

Italy-italian
    _sandra_ said:
    Well of course i agree RCC.. you are native, so i'm sure you are right:) I just thought i havent heard entrambi in a casual, informal conversation..

Thanks a lot for making it clear !

'Ambedue' - i don't know it at all... another formal word? Is it used often?

ciao:)

Hi, :)

ambedue=entrambi=tutti e due= both

ciao
    Silvia

Ludik

italia italiano
    I agree that they are sinonimi but it would sound very formal in most situations if you said "entrambi" during a conversation. It depends anyway on the context

silvietta

Italy-italian
    Ludik said:
    I agree that they are sinonimi but it would sound very formal in most situations if you said "entrambi" during a conversation. It depends anyway on the context

Hi everybody,
    I think it depends not (or not only if you prefer) on the context but on the person who's speaking. For example I use always "entrambi" and very rarely (is it correct???) tutti e due. I had a very good teacher of italian language at the middle school and she didn't want us to use "tutti e due".... ever... It's only my opinion of course... :)
    Bye

giacinta

English
    So okay, how would you say "both of us", or "us both"?

Per esempio:
    Are you talking to both of us?
    Both of us have green eyes.

Are you talking to us both?
    This is for us both to share.

The latter configuration sounds awkward, but I believe it is gramatically correct in english.

I'm guessing ci is appropriate...

Quali e` giusti?

Ci entrambi...
    Tutti e due di noi...
    Noi tutti e due... (looks wrong)
    Noi entrambi...
    Entrambi di noi...

or none of the above. :D (niente di sopra?)

Hi,

Nobody ever answered this one.

Are you speaking to both of us?

Stai rivolgendo a tutti e due di noi? / A noi tutti e due?
    Stai rivolgendo a noi entrambi?/ ad entrambi di noi?

Could someone have a go at answering it please?

Thanks,

Giacinta

Last edited:

Necsus

Italian (Italy)
    Hi,

Nobody ever answered this one.

Are you speaking to both of us?

Stai rivolgendo a tutti e due di (noi)? / A noi tutti e due?:cross:
    Stai rivolgendo a noi entrambi?:cross:/ ad entrambi di noi?:cross:

Could someone have a go at answering it please?

Thanks,

Giacinta
    Hi, Giaci. You could also say 'a tutti e due noi', but usually you don't need the personal pronoun, 'a entrambi/tutti e due' is enough, and the context clarifies.
    My suggestion is never put the preposition 'di' between 'tutti' and a personal pronoun. (you can also take a look at this thread in SI)

marcuzzer

italian
    hi all,
    I guess "tutte e due" is a more versatile and powerful construct than "entrambi", "ambedue" e "ambo".
    The reason is that it not only refers to the "whole" items of a set but it also explicit its cardinality.
    So for example you can say "tutti e due", but also "tutti e undici". The most accurate translation in my opinion is "the two of them", or in the second case "the eleven of them".

e.g.
    tutti i giocatori della squadra blu hanno segnato l'altra sera; tutti e undici, ci credi?!
    all players of the blue team scored a goal last night; the eleven of them, can you believe it?!

I found this link about the etymology of this phrase: link removed, new members are not allowed to post links search google for "tutti e due etimologia", Treccani should be the first result.