bothered/disturbed/troubled

Moviefans

Chinese
Hello,

I want your help in the following exercise.

I do not wish to be .... in my work.

A. bothered B. troubled C. disturbed D. asked

I feel A, B, and C are of similar meanings. Sure C is the most suitable, as is designed as the expected answer. But I feel maybe A and B can also be used here.

What about D? In structure, D also fits, doesn't it?

Also how about the use of "wish"? "hope/want" may be better?

Thank you in advance.

• I would say A and C are equally valid - the person does not wish to be interupted.

But B, troubled, implies that you don't want to be confused by or have problems with your work.

D would not make any sense at all.

I would not use "hope" here, but "want" would be a fine alternative to "wish", which is more formal to my ears.

It's always frustrating to see that on this kind of question, if you pick A as the answer, it would be marked as a wrong answer!

Blumengarten

America / English
    I do not wish to be .... in my work.

A. bothered B. troubled C. disturbed D. asked
    It also depends upon what you're trying to convey. If you don't want to do your homework (don't have time for it, find it a waste of time), you could say:

I do not wish to be bothered/troubled/disturbed WITH my homework.

If you are in the process of doing your homework and find it bothersome / troubling / disturbing (perhaps the subject matter is disagreeable - perhaps you are reading about the Holocaust) and don't like the feeling it gives you and would prefer to learn about flowers, you could say:

I do not wish to be bothered / troubled / disturbed IN my homework.

If you are in your room and somebody keeps knocking on your door and disturbing your peace, you could say:

I do not wish to be bothered / troubled / disturbed WHILE DOING my homework.

-or-

I do not wish to be ASKED A QUESTION WHILE DOING my homework.

Moviefans

Chinese
    Thank you for the detailed explanations from both of you. I feel my puzzle has been resolved to a great extent. Thank you so much!

< Previous | Next >