bottle mouth / bowl mouth

Discussion in 'English Only' started by longxianchen, Oct 19, 2013.

  1. longxianchen Senior Member

    What do we call the brim of a bottle , a bowl or similar containers. They look like mouths, so can we call them "bottle mouth or bowl mouth"?
    If not what do we name them in English speaking countries?
    Thank you in advance
  2. SwissPete

    SwissPete Senior Member

    94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    I believe this is called the mouth of a bottle.

    I don't know about the mouth of a bowl, though!
  3. longxianchen Senior Member

    Thank you very much, swisspete. What do you usually call that part of a bowl in USA?
  4. Florentia52

    Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

    English - United States
    We usually refer to the rim of the bowl.
  5. waltern Senior Member

    English - USA
    I would use the word "rim" for the (edge of the) opening of a bowl.
  6. longxianchen Senior Member

    Thank you very much for all your warm response.
  7. Mahantongo

    Mahantongo Senior Member

    English (U.S.)
    You may also speak about the lip of a bowl.

Share This Page