bottle neck

Encolpius

Hungarian
Hello, what word do you use for the narrow part of a bottle? Do you use the neck or a different word?

English: bottle neck
Hungarian: üvegnyak [neck]
Czech: hrdlo láhve [throat]

• apmoy70

Greek
    In Greek we call it «λαιμός» [le'mos] (masc.) --> neck, throat < Classical Greek masc. noun «λαιμός» laimós --> neck, throat, gullet with obscure etymology (some philologists see a possible link with the archaic & poetic neuter noun «λαῖτμα» laîtmă --> depth).

arielipi

Hebrew
    Hebrew
    צוואר בקבוק tzvar bakbuk; tzavar is neck, tzvar is the form it takes when is attached to something.

Awwal12

Russian
    Hello, what word do you use for the narrow part of a bottle? Do you use the neck or a different word?

In Russian it's a "bottle little throat" (буты́лочное го́рлышко), much like in Czech. :)

ESustad

English - (Minnesota)
    Portuguese doesn't distinguish between 'neck/throat' and 'bottleneck.' I've only seen gargalo for either one.

French, Portuguese, and Spanish drop the 'neck,' and use just a variant on 'bottle' to describe a traffic jam. (Fr. embouteillage, Pt. engarrafamento, Sp. embotellamiento.)

Gavril

English, USA
    Slovene zastoj "bottleneck" from zastajati "to stagnate"

The literal "neck of a bottle" is vrat steklenice or grlo steklenice, where vrat = neck and grlo = throat. I don't know if this phrase is used figuratively or not.

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    Well, yes, that is one meaning of bottle-neck indeed. I had been thinking of any blockages (e.g., traffic) due to an oversupply, overflow, etc. But I am quite surprised you use different words. Don't you consider it the same reality? (Thanks !)

ancalimon

Turkish
    Well, yes, that is one meaning of bottle-neck indeed. I had been thinking of any blockages (e.g., traffic) due to an oversupply, overflow, etc. But I am quite surprised you use different words. Don't you consider it the same reality? (Thanks !)
    When we think of a bottleneck that is related with overflow (bottleneck : darboğaz), the Bosphorus comes to our mind probably because it's a narrow river that connect two seas. It's most probable that the Turks do not think of the mouth or neck of a bottle when they think of a bottleneck that's related with blockages.

Encolpius

Hungarian
    German --- Flaschenhals [neck]
    French --- goulot [it means the narrow part of the bottle]
    Polish --- szyjka [neck]
    Slovenian --- vrat [neck]
    Lithuanian - kaklas [neck]
    Ukrainian --- ши́йка [neck]
    Rumanian --- gât [throat]
    etc...

mark8888

Bangladesh-Bangla
    I am racking my brain and i cant think of anything other than "bottle neck" im in the States and that's how english speaking would describe it.

Mark Leroy, Ayrshire, OH

AutumnOwl

-
    Swedish
    Swedish:
    Similar to the German and Norwegian words: flaskhals. (There is a Swedish word nacke but it means the nape, not the whole neck.)

Montesacro

Italiano

Italian: collo di bottiglia (collo = neck)

It can also be used figuratively.

ilocas2

Banned
    Czech
    Croatian:

grlo boce/flaše - throat of bottle
    vrat boce/flaše - neck of bottle
    grkljan boce/flaše - larynx of bottle

Dymn

The literal meaning:

Catalan: coll d'ampolla
    Spanish: cuello de botella

I think the most important figurative meaning would be in biology (when a population of a species reduces drastically and the ones who survived don't represent the genetic variation of the former population).

As for "traffic jam", there's embotellament (ca) / embotellamiento (es), but I think it's more common to say embús (ca) / atasco (es-ES). The WC s'embussa (ca) / se atasca (es) when it doesn't flush. There's also congestió / congestión, this word I think is more internationally known. And finally and simply, cua (ca) / cola (es), "queue", which literally means "tail".

< Previous | Next >