Bottom of the Pot

< Previous | Next >

Dautima

Persian, English
Hi my Friends
Would you please help me in finding the name and expression used for the rest of the meal in the pot. It is the last part of the meal remains in the pot and sometimes it is burnt. Some people love it like me!!!!

Is the expression " bottom of the pot correct"??

Thanks in advance;)

• owlman5

English-US
    I think I'd probably call this "the burnt crust at the bottom of the pot". I can't think of a shorter expression for this stuff. :) I think most native speakers would understand you if you just said "crust" as long as they already knew that the food had been cooked in a pot.

Last edited:

WyomingSue

English--USA
    The crust at the bottom of the fondue pot is "la religieuse," a French word meaning "nun". I don't know why it's called that, or if that word is used for any other cooked-on food bits. English-speakers use that word sometimes, so perhaps it will make it by the moderator!

timpeac

English (England)
    The crust at the bottom of the fondue pot is "la religieuse," a French word meaning "nun". I don't know why it's called that, or if that word is used for any other cooked-on food bits. English-speakers use that word sometimes, so perhaps it will make it by the moderator!
    It's ok if it's used in an English context (not that I've heard of it).

I think I'd call those "scrapings", but the context would have to make it clear that we're talking of burnt bits in a pot.

< Previous | Next >