Bottom strike (marine)

Stormreaver

Turkish
Hello,

In a documentary there is a group of divers who dive for a ship wreck to recover some artifacts.
Before they start diving one of them says:
"Remember this could posssibly be a bottom strike. So if you're down there and you don't see the target, don't spend an hour."
What does "bottom strike" mean here?
Does it mean they may dive to reach the bottom or it maybe a long dive?
Thank you.

Additional info: After they dive and can't find anything, one of them says: "I think you were right. It looks like a false reading. Maybe this is a bottom strike." He says to this to the person who says the "Remember this could possibly be a bottom strike" sentence.

Last edited:
  • kentix

English - U.S.
    I'm guess (guessing) that it might mean the ship struck the ocean bottom at that point but didn't sink there. There might be items that dropped out of the ship at that point but the whole ship didn't sink there. They are trying to find the main shipwreck site (that's "the target").

Stormreaver

Turkish
    I'm guess (guessing) that it might mean the ship struck the ocean bottom at that point but didn't sink there. There might be items that dropped out of the ship at that point but the whole ship didn't sink there. They are trying to find the main shipwreck site (that's "the target").
    They are searching for shipwrecks or the remaining artifacts from them. They locate the area and dive there.
    But I'm trying to understand what they mean by "bottom strike" here. "Remember this could be a bottom strike."
    Does it possibly mean it could be an unsuccessful dive?

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Linkway

British English
    "Bottom strike" in this context means that the ship struck the seabed or rocks protruding from the seabed.

But what the rest of the quoted text means, I have no idea.

< Previous | Next >