bottomless pit

coconutpalm

Chinese,China
Hi, everyone. I am revising the teaching materials of Translation. Here is an example in it:
“The Chinese market is a bottomless pit,” said the visiting Nike CEO here in Shanghai.
My teacher explained that "bottomless pit" here should not be considered a derogatary word, but a compliment. However, after I googled, I found that this phrase seems to stem from the Bible, and it definitely means bad things. And other googled results related to secular usages also mean bad things.:(
So, my question is, can the phrase of "bottomless pit" ever mean good things in a particular context?
Sorry that I can't provide any more context. Please tell me whether there can be such an possibility

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    From the perspective of the Nike CEO, a market that he can describe as a bottomless pit has to be positive. It means that Nike can keep on selling their trainers in China in ever-increasing quantities - limited only by their ability to manufacture them.

So, although it is often a negative idea, in context it may also be positive.

< Previous | Next >