bought one or more of the required brands

meijin

Japanese
Hi, let's say you need to have bought brand A, B, C, D, or E in the last three months to participate in the main part of the survey. In other words, if you have bought none of the five brands during that period, you will be screened out and won't be able to participate in the main survey.

Now, if I were in charge of examining the results of the survey, would it be correct to use the adjective "required" when writing the following in the survey report?

Only about 20% of the respondents in the screening survey had bought one or more of the required brands in the previous three months.

I used "required" because having bought one or more of the brands in the previous three months was required to participate in the main survey. There's a Japanese word that fits perfectly in the underlined part, but I don't know if "required" is the right word to use there in the English translation. If I translate the Japanese word into English, it will be "eligible", "subject", etc., but I don't think you can use "eligible" for brands.

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I think "required" is fine, given a context in which it has already been stated that it was a requirement, for participation in the survey, to have purchased one of the brands in question.
    Another option is "specified".

meijin

Japanese
    Thank you both very much for the replies. So, "required" if fine. Great.

I like "specified" as well, but if the respondents were shown a total of, say, 20 brands and didn't know they had to have bought at least one of the 5 brands (A-E) in the previous 3 months to participate in the main survey, maybe it wouldn't work, because those 5 brands were never "specified" in the questionnaire. In that case maybe "applicable" (which moustic suggested) would work?

< Previous | Next >