bound volumes of various disciplines

user_gary

Banned
India - Hindi
We have a spacious well ventilated and equipped computerised library which makes learning more intresting. Stacked on its shelves are about innumerable books, journals, peridoicals and bound volumes of various disciplines in four different languages.

I think, the highlighed parts means (bound books of various disciplines), but still I cannot understand it. Could you tell me which book it is?

• Trisia

Romanian
    Bound volumes = books with a hard/protective cover (leather etc.)
    various disciplines = many areas of study (English, Philosophy, Biology etc.)

Eva Maria

Banned
    Catalonia / Spain (Catalan / Spanish)
    We have a spacious well ventilated and equipped computerised library which makes learning more intresting. Stacked on its shelves are about innumerable books, journals, peridoicals and bound volumes of various disciplines in four different languages.

I think, the highlighed parts means (bound books of various disciplines), but still I cannot understand it. Could you tell me which book it is?

UG,

Bound volume = Bound book

Look at this definition:

bound
    secured with a cover or binding; often used as a combining form; "bound volumes"; "leather-bound volumes"

There's an "English definition" dictionary in Wordreference you can use. If you still don't quite understand, don't hesitate to ask again and I'll try to explain the term in more detail (supposing I can).

EM

user_gary

Banned
    India - Hindi
    Thank you.

I know the meaning. My point is not that.

Let see my understanding :

Stacked on its shelves are about innumerable books, journals, peridoicals and bound volumes of various disciplines in four different languages.
    = Stacked on the library slelves are about innumerable books namely : journals, periodicals and bound volumes of various disciplines in four diffierent languages.

And also, I think, the phrase `of various disciplines in four different languages' attached to only bound volumes.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Stacked on its shelves are about innumerable books, journals, peridoicals and bound volumes of various disciplines in four different languages.

Like the first sentence (discussed in another thread) this one risks confusion.
    I'll ignore "about" which seems to serve no purpose.

Stacked on its shelves are innumerable (books, journals, periodicals and bound volumes) of various disciplines in four different languages.
    Possible and likely.

Stacked on its shelves are innumerable (books, journals, periodicals) and (bound volumes of various disciplines in four different languages).
    Possible but less likely. If that's what I meant I might write:
    Stacked on its shelves are innumerable books, journals and periodicals, and bound volumes of various disciplines in four different languages.

user_gary

Banned
    India - Hindi
    I agree with Trisia (who has been eating a looooot of brain food)!!!!

Dear Gary, hehehehe, I was beginning to get a bit :confused:, not to say frankly :eek: with your questions-explanations, innocent so as to say, but messy!

EM
    Thanks to all.

Hello Maria, What you mean (Trisia has been eating a looot of brain food)?

Arba

Italy-Italian
    Thank you Trisia.
    That means innumerable books, journals and periodicals are with soft covers? Am I right?
    Hi Gary,
    I guess that when you talk about "Volumes" you automatically intend that there is a certain number of books of an encyclopedia.

Instead simply talking about "books", you mean indipendent books.

So, on the shelves you can have both books and volumes, and they both are usually hard bound (= they feature a hard cover). Instead magazines, journals, periodicals and brochures are usually soft bound (= they feature a soft cover).

Bye Bye

< Previous | Next >