bowling green

Quantz

French
I know bowling green means "terrain de boules", but here it is a very ancient park in Rome.

Parterres had been ripped up to make way for bowling-green lawns.

It seems strange to have "pétanque" there. Is there another meaning for bowling-green ?

• Agent Literary

England, English
    That does sound strange :)

Could it simply be a way of saying that the parterres have been replaced with very high quality lawns - bowling greens are, after all, generally pretty immaculate. I've never heard it used as an adjective in that way, though, so I guess it must be time for pétanque at the Colosseum! ;)

Geordie_Wilber

Geordieland, Geordie (English of sorts!)
    Hi hellstan,

Boules/pétanque isn't at all the same thing as English bowls...

The English roll their balls along the ground, unlike the French, who prefer to toss them in the air (yes, I know it all sounds vaguely sexual, but I like it like that ;))...

Thus the English need a good, flat surface and neatly trimmed turf (lawns) is the surface of choice... There are a couple of "good"! pics of bowling greens here

Denis the fatalist

France/French
    (I can't help to interfere...)
    If it is for mere translation and whatever the balls are for, you can say... "boulingrin".
    Same meaning, and a funny word which has crossed to and thro the great Calais/Dover swim. It's perfectly admitted in old French (I mean before circa 1970).

< Previous | Next >