boxes that do not have a manual or manuals

Mack&Mack

Korea & Korean
Hello,

I wonder which sentence is right.

1. It has turned out that 1000 products you have received do not have a manual.

1. It has turned out that 1000 products you have received do not have manuals.

Can this be confusing to native speakers depending on the number of manuals that are supposed to be in a box?

I mean what if there are two (different) manuals in each box.

Thank you in advance.

• lady_luck

India English/ French
    both sentences are correct depending on teh situation.
    1 box having 1 manual : It has turned out that 1000 products you have received do not have a manual
    1 box has 10 manuals: has turned out that 1000 products you have received do not have manuals
    Also you may use the second sentence in case the box has 100 products and each product has a manual.

sdgraham

USA English
    Your post is extremely confusing to me as to what you are trying to tell the customer.

1. is 1,000 the total or partial order or 1,000 of the total order?

2. Two different manuals in each box - what does that mean, manuals for different products, written in different languages?

3. None of your sample sentences talks about a box, but you just start talking about "boxes" without any context.

4. You don't say how many products are packed in each box. In other words, what is the relationship of products to boxes?

Mack&Mack

Korea & Korean
    I assumed that a product comes in a box. I am sorry for not making it clear.

Your post is extremely confusing to me as to what you are trying to tell the customer.

1. is 1,000 the total or partial order or 1,000 of the total order?
    1,000 is a partical order.

2. Two different manuals in each box - what does that mean, manuals for different products, written in different languages?
    This was a hypothetical situation I came up with. One box usually one manual. But what if I happend to have two manuals in one box: one for setup and the other for how to use

3. None of your sample sentences talks about a box, but you just start talking about "boxes" without any context.
    As I mentioned earlier, I assumed I could use the word 'one box' for one product. Seems like I was wrong. I am sorry.

4. You don't say how many products are packed in each box. In other words, what is the relationship of products to boxes?
    The same answer to question no. 3 applies here.
    I am sorry again.

SleepingLeopard

English - United States (New York)
    Hi Mack,

To make it clear that 1,000 is not the total order, but only the ones without manuals, you should say,

1,000 of the products (which) you have received . . .

I think either manual or manuals is correct (assuming that only one manual was supposed to be in each box), but I would say manuals, personally.

< Previous | Next >