Boy, that crayon sure did hurt!

< Previous | Next >

Curious Hair

Italian
Hi,

this is my first post in this forum, but I've been reading you for years.
I'm Italian and I study English as second language.
I found here a lot of valuable answers to my doubts, thank you very much and excuse me for my poor English.

Now my question:
I found this sentence:

"Boy, that crayon sure did hurt!"

It is one of the sentences that appeared like a cloud near the name of the famous forum "slashdot", in the end of the page.

To provide a contest I'll report the description of the site directly from wikipedia:
"Slashdot (sometimes abbreviated as /.) is a technology-related news website [...] The site [...] bills itself as "News for Nerds. Stuff that Matters",

The other sentences are often quotes or famous phrases or jocks, which I can understand or found simply on google. But in this case I wasn't able to work the meaning out, I'm sure (of course!) it has another meaning, different from the litteral one, anyone could please help me?

I wonder if it could be a still nonsense.

Thanks in advance, bye

• Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Welcome to active membership, Curious Hair. :)

Is this comment next to an image? Is it a quotation attributed to someone?

Curious Hair

Italian
    Welcome to active membership, Curious Hair. :)

:)

Is this comment next to an image? Is it a quotation attributed to someone?
    The comment was near the name of the site (the sentence changes often, and now, for example, there is another one!) and it wasn't attributed to anyone.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Welcome Curious Hair

I googled the phrase and found that today's is
    Sushido, n.: The way of the tuna.
    It is right at the bottom of the site page in a speech bubble coming out of the name of the site.
    I see too that these are very short one- liner jokes, "fortune cookie" sort, either real sayings or quotes and some ridiculous and some quite funny. By the way, it has just dawned on me that when you wrote jocks you meant jokes? I was very puzzled about that. A jock is something very different! A joke makes you laugh but a jock is a very large, very sporty male, not usually anything to laugh about. (My understanding might be rather limited)
    http://www.freewebs.com/achreios_magissa/cookiequotes.htm.

I don't understand the tuna joke above because I would have to look up 'sushido' to be sure. To understand the crayon one you have to know that a wax crayon is a round ended colouring tool used by small children. We don't normally explain jokes on the forum, but the joke here is the incongruity of hurting yourself on one of these.

:)

Hermione

Last edited:

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    I don't understand the tuna joke above because I would have to look up 'sushido' to be sure.
    I can help with sushido. It's bushido (the way of judo) plus sushi.

I'm as puzzled by the crayon fortune cookie as Hermione. If there is a specific reference beyond what Hermione explained, I don't get it either.

Curious Hair

Italian
    Thank you very much indeed, dear Hermione Golightly and excuse my mistake, in fact when I wrote "jocks" I meant "jokes"!

I didn't know you don't normally explain jokes on the forum, anyway I agree with your explanation: the incongruity of hurting yourself using a crayon!

The conversation was very interesting and useful for me! :)

Bye

< Previous | Next >