boyfriend (formal cover letter)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by juliettearg, Mar 20, 2015.

1. juliettearg New Member

Spanish - Argentina
    Hello everyone, I am writing a cover letter to apply for a job. I need to state that the reason I chose that city is because my boyfriend lives there. I find the expression "boyfriend" a little juvenile or informal for the context, yet he is not my fiancé. Is there another expression such "my partner" or "my significant other" that would be more suitable for this formal context? Thanks in advance!

2. roxcyn

roxcyn Senior Member

USA
    American English [AmE]
    Welcome to the forum, Juliettearg!

Could you provide an example sentence so we can discuss it? I assume you're wanting to write it in English?

Many people will say "my significant other" for "boyfriend" or "girlfriend."

3. juliettearg New Member

Spanish - Argentina
    Thank you roxcyn for your quick response! I'm trying to write it in English indeed. I haven't written it yet but it should go like this:
    "In addition to my professional motivation, I am personally interested in relocating in this city because it is the place of residence of my boyfriend / significant other / partner."
    I wasn't really sure of the connotation of those words. In Spanish the word "novio" can be used on someone who is in a steady, formal relationship. I'm not sure which option in English reflects that idea better.

4. vivo4chorizo

vivo4chorizo Senior Member

Baton Rouge, LA
    U.S.A, English
    "In addition to my professional motivation, I am personally interested in relocating to "New York" because my significant other resides there. "

Hi Juliette,

I shortened your sentence a bit to make it more concise and easier for the H.R. Manager to read. Remember that American H.R. professionals are busy people with limited time, so cover letters should be concise, since they are primarily a tool to sell you, the candidate. While it's interesting that your motive for moving is to be with your beau, what your reader is really asking his/herself is, "Why should I hire her over another candidate?"

Moderator's note
    Unauthorised youtube link removed
    Bevj

Suerte !
    Cha Cha

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  5. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    This must be a BrE/AE difference, but I would never dream of writing 'significant other' in a formal letter :eek:

6. testoduro Senior Member

Español(de España)
    Doesn't it sound a bit cheesy? ;)Wouldn't it be better to use a more neutral formula like family circumstances?

7. SuperScuffer Senior Member

Nerja, Spain & London
    English - GB
    I would avoid boyfriend, significant other etc and simply put "friends". They can find out more details in the interview.

8. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

I'm also interested in relocating to New York because I have personal connections there.
    To me saying "significant other" instead of "boyfriend" could mean you're gay or have some other unconventional relationship.

9. jedi5384

jedi5384 Senior Member

Delaware, USA
    American English
    You could also say, "...I am also interested in relocating to New York for personal reasons". I don't think it is necessary to be that specific in the cover letter, and as others have said, it can be discussed in more detail during the interview.

10. iribela Senior Member

USA
    Spanish - Uruguay
    It's not necessary to mention your boyfriend in the letter, or during the interview. I would avoid it.
    k-in-sc option of "personal connections" would be a good choice if you think it's important to mention you know someone in the city.
    At least in the US, there's no need to disclose that type of information, and it might be counterproductive.
    Age, marital status, children, etc., that's all information you don't need to share at that time. This protects people from discrimination.
    In your case, for example, the recruiter could wonder ...what if the boyfriend moves away?' will she follow him...?
    You get the idea.
    Saludos.

11. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Yes, exactly, don't volunteer that sort of information because it could put the employer in an awkward position.

12. birder

birder Senior Member

I fully agree with k-in-sc's 5:48 post in that these expressions imply -- well, that may be too strong -- could suggest a relationship that is really nobody's business but might hurt a job applicant.

Don't say anything more than, possibly, jedi's suggestion. It's irrelevant to the job.

13. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    I wouldn't even mention any personal reasons. What happens if your significant other/boyfriend/novio moves to another location? Are you going to follow him? Better not to make any mention of anything that is not relevant to the job for which you are applying.

JJ

14. roxcyn

roxcyn Senior Member

USA
    American English [AmE]
    Vivo4corizo - We're not allowed to post YouTube links on the forum. However, I would recommend Juliet to check it out. Look for career builder - they have some good videos. OP - maybe it would be best to leave out about your significant other.

15. juliettearg New Member

Spanish - Argentina
    I decided I will omit that information then. Thank you all for your recommendations!