Braccia, f. or m.

italtrav

English
I'm getting confused. I thought I knew that braccio has both a masculine and feminine plural. On the WF dictionary page here, (slightly past the middle, under the heading Principal Translations/Traduzioni Principali), it lists braccia both as nmpl and nfpl. Is this an error, or could someone please clarify? TIA.

http://www.wordreference.com/iten/braccia#braccia98

Last edited:
  • calau

italy italian
    you can have both;
    Braccia is arms
    Bracci can be the ones of a mechanical tool or machine.
    I hope it helps
    PS: when singular you say braccio for both meanings
    EX: Mi fa male il braccio
    Si è rotto il braccio della pala meccanica

italtrav

English
    Thanks Calau.
    But the WF dictionary I linked to shows a box with the word braccia appearing on two separate lines. On the first line it indicates braccia as a feminine plural, on the second line it shows braccia as a masculine plural. So I'm still confused.

calau

italy italian
    Thanks Calau.
    But the WF dictionary I linked to shows a box with the word braccia appearing on two separate lines. On the first line it indicates braccia as a feminine plural, on the second line it shows braccia as a masculine plural. So I'm still confused.
    when singular the noun is always m.
    When plural, if you mean arms the word id f and the article will be LE;
    if you mean the mechanic or a part of a tool it is m,and the article will be I;
    so:
    Le braccia are the arms
    I bracci are the mechanical parts.
    I hope it's clear enough.

AlabamaBoy

American English
    In case that is not clear enough, let me add something.

If you will notice, the feminine version has a more figurative meaning and the masculine a more literal meaning. Consider legno (wood) and legna (firewood) as another example. There are a number of examples of Italian nouns that have both feminine and masculine forms with different shades of meaning.

Last edited:

italtrav

English
    Thank AB and Calau.
    Let me put the question more directly—is the WF dictionary entry to which I link mistaken? Is it the case that braccia, spelled exactly this way, is ever both the masculine and feminine plural of braccio?

Gianfry

Italian
    italtrav is talking about this:

braccia nfpl arms limb
    braccia nmpl manpower labour

Yes, there's a mistake. "braccia" meaning "labour" is still feminine.

Here is the definition of this particular use from the Treccani dictionary:
    Per estens., al plur., lavoratori, persone considerate in relazione al lavoro che possono compiere: terra che ha bisogno di molte b.; le b. rimaste a casa non bastavano più al governo della barca (Verga); come espressione scherz., braccia rubate all’agricoltura, per indicare qualcuno non particolarmente versato nel lavoro intellettuale.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >