brag and gloat and show off

Joseph A

Kurdish
Hello everyone,
If someone, for example a girl has beautiful curly hair. She shows it off in front of others and is proud of it, because she knows others don't have beautiful hair like her. In this situation, is it okay to use ""brag", "gloat", and "show off" as follows?
1. She always gloats about her hair.
2. She always brags about her hair.
3. She always shows off her hair.
I think #1 is correct.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    "Brag" can only be verbal, and people usually brag about things that cannot be seen. There seems to be no need to brag about your hair when everyone can see it.

"Gloat" is also primarily verbal, and is used more for other people's misfortune or as an expression of avarice rather than for showing off.

"Shows off" is fine, but I am not sure if "her hair" can function as an object, where the meaning is something like "exhibit". She might show off "about her hair" or "with her hair".

The Newt

English - US
    [...]

"Shows off" is fine, but I am not sure if "her hair" can function as an object, where the meaning is something like "exhibit". She might show off "about her hair" or "with her hair".
    In US English "showing off her hair" is fine, but "showing off about her hair" is probably more natural. The former is slightly more neutral.

Joseph A

Kurdish
    Thank you so much, The Newt and Uncle Jack.
    According to your answers, I think "proud of" is the best for that situation as follows:
    She is always proud of her hair.
    But I'm not sure. Is it right?

Uncle Jack

British English
    "Proud" describes a state rather than an action, so it does not fit very well with "always", unless "always" refers to a period of time rather than frequency, for example "She has always been proud of her hair" or "She was always proud of her hair".

Joseph A

Kurdish
    "Proud" describes a state rather than an action, so it does not fit very well with "always", unless "always" refers to a period of time rather than frequency, for example "She has always been proud of her hair" or "She was always proud of her hair".
    Thank you so much, Uncle Jack.

Joseph A

Kurdish
    Hello everyone,
    You suggested "show off", but is the word "flaunt" okay as well as follows?
    She always flaunts her hair.
    Regards,
    Joseph

Joseph A

Kurdish
    We normally gloat over something, e.g. The miser gloated over his stash of gold.

I don't think that 'gloat' is the right verb for your sentence.
    Thank you, Chasint.
    1. What about "flaunt"? Isn't it okay in that sentence?
    2. I think you meant "She always gloats over her hair. Is it right? Could you please answer these two questions?

Barque

Tamil
    We normally gloat over something.
    Yes.

Also, as Chasint's example sentence shows, gloating is something you can also do in private, without an audience, and therefore without any element of showing off or bragging. To gloat is to feel satisfaction or delight in something.

She shows it off in front of others and is proud of it, because she knows others don't have beautiful hair like her.
    She likes showing off her hair.
    She's proud of her beautiful hair.

She always flaunts her hair.
    You could possibly use "She likes flaunting her hair" in a very specific context but "flaunt" isn't a straightforward synonym of "show off".

"She always gloats over her hair.
    This means -
    She takes pride in her hair.
    Thinking about her hair gives her satisfaction/happiness.

It doesn't (necessarily) mean she shows off her hair or tries to make people notice it.

Joseph A

Kurdish
    Yes.

Also, as Chasint's example sentence shows, gloating is something you can also do in private, without an audience, and therefore without any element of showing off or bragging. To gloat is to feel satisfaction or delight in something.

She likes showing off her hair.
    She's proud of her beautiful hair.

You could possibly use "She likes flaunting her hair" in a very specific context but "flaunt" isn't a straightforward synonym of "show off".

This means -
    She takes pride in her hair.
    Thinking about her hair gives her satisfaction/happiness.

It doesn't (necessarily) mean she shows off her hair or tries to make people notice it.
    Thank you, Barque.

< Previous | Next >