brain scrubbed with the same mixture of bleach and Pop Rocks

< Previous | Next >

Nobu.0

Japanese
Hi.
As some of you may have done so, I've been reading this awesome open letter by a burrito connoisseur, where I had one phrase that I didn't quite get.
http://luckyshirt.tumblr.com/post/40280568690/dear-guy-who-just-made-my-burrito-have-you-ever

This is where the author reprimands the poor maker of his burrito:

My burrito was, in fact, filled with food. In this, you and I agree and are friends. But this is also where my lifelong hatred begins for you and anyone else whose brain has been repeatedly scrubbed with the same mixture of bleach and Pop Rocks as yours has. Because that should have killed you, but left you around long enough​

The author says "mixture of bleach and Pop Rocks", but what does that mean? I guess "Pop Rocks" is used as a proper noun meaning the name of a candy, not a genre of music. Is that correct? If so, what happens if you throw the candy into bleach? And why is it funny?

Thank you :)

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Yes, Pop Rocks was a kind of candy (I don't think it's around anymore). I have no idea what may happen when you combine Pop Rocks with bleach. The writer just picked Pop Rocks and bleach because they are two things that would never be combined or used to scrub anything. It's meant to be nonsense, just part of this writer's style of humor. (And it is an amusing piece, to a native speaker.)

Nobu.0

Japanese
    Sorry I forgot to add one more thing. The writer says "the SAME mixture of bleach and Pop Rocks", but same as what? is my question...

Thanks in advance.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    He means that if anyone else has had their brain scrubbed with the same mixture [of bleach and Pop Rocks] that the burrito maker has had their brain scrubbed with, he hates them too.

Dexta

English (British and Australian)
    Adding sugar to bleach causes the bleach to heat up rapidly and even boil up out of its container. So I imagine pop rocks would possibly amplify this reaction even further.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Sorry I forgot to add one more thing. The writer says "the SAME mixture of bleach and Pop Rocks", but same as what? is my question...

Thanks in advance.
    My burrito was, in fact, filled with food. In this, you and I agree and are friends. But this is also where my lifelong hatred begins for you and anyone else whose brain has been repeatedly scrubbed with the same mixture of bleach and Pop Rocks as yours has. Because that should have killed you, but left you around long enough​

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    He means that if anyone else has had their brain scrubbed with the same mixture [of bleach and Pop Rocks] that the burrito maker has had their brain scrubbed with, he hates them too.
    A key feature no one has noted so far is that Pop Rocks was an exploding candy: it contained micro-bubbles of carbon dioxide. When combined with saliva in one's mouth, it made little explosions.

< Previous | Next >