brain's front lawn

< Previous | Next >

fexga

portuguese
Hi! There are 2 parts of a song which I can't understand. Could someone help me?

That's the song:

When your grip keeps slippin and your clutch is gone.
And you're tired
spinning your wheels on
your brains front lawn.

Where I need help is: brain's front lawn

What does it mean?

Thanks,
Fernanda

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    It means "the front lawn of your brain." It's a metaphor. But it might help to know that often, in rural areas of the US, old cars are abandoned in front yards when they become too expensive to take care of. Then, they get rusty and overgrown with grass. You can see some picture on this site: http://www.route66wingsandwheels.com/viewtopic.php?t=604

It's an image that's fairly immediate for an American.

pwmeek

English - American
    Spinning your wheels on <someone's> front lawn is a common teen-ager's prank. It does repairable damage.

"Spinning your wheels" by itself is a symbol for futility. You have no traction, so spinning your wheels gets you nowhere.

I think this lyric is deliberately mixing the mind and the automobile. "Grip slippin' " and "clutch is gone" are automotive failures, while "tired" and "brain" are mental.

The last pair of lines extends this with a reference to tearing up someone's lawn and applying it to the speaker's own brain. Brains do not have actual front lawns. :)

A deliberate and strong mixing of metaphors.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Hm, we never did that where I came from...

I thought it was just a combination of "spinning your wheels" (going nowhere) and the image of a car on a lawn.

fexga

portuguese
    hum.... very deep lyrics! hehehe it's from the Country Bears movie I am translating!
    thanks you both!
    I have another doubt about the same lyric, but I guess I should open another thread, right? so if can go there, i'd appreciate it!

< Previous | Next >